Underutilized and underexploited horticultural crops form an integral part of health food green parks, neutraceutical industry, home decorations, renewable sources of green energy and above all food reserves during calamities. Leaf vegetables like agathi, chekkurmanis, waterleaf, drumstick leaf, basella and colacasia leaf are rich in fibre, minerals and beta carotenes. Cucurbits like ash gourd, pointed gourd, ivy gourd, kekrol, snap melons and chow-chow are rich in iron and amino acids. Fruits like karonda, aonla and cherries are highly nutritious and are suited to less moisture soils. Noni is a fruit for health. Noni juice is recommended against diabetes, obesity and sleeplessness. Among spices, long pepper, mint, celery, fenugreek and garcenia possess medicinal properties. There are a large number of underexploited medicinal plants like tulsi and peppermint with considerable economic value. Underutilized crops like in Tripura, Orissa and Kerala are specially mentioned. There is need to broaden the food basket with lesser know crops. There is a shift from Health Care to Wellness Industry. Prevention is always better then cure. The present volume deals with underexploited and underutilized horticultural crops in its totality. The contributors of each are working scientists in the specific crop.
K.V. Peter: Professor of Horticulture and Former Vice-Chancellor, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur - 680 656, Kerala (India)
1. Genetic Resources of Underutilized Horticultural Crops in Tripura
Sankaran, M. Singh; N.P and Jai Prakash
Underutilized Tuber Crops
2. Arrow Root
3. Coleus (Coleus Parviflorus Benth.)
4. Larger Yam
5. Lesser Yam
6. Winged Beans
7. Yam Beans
8. Indigenous Ornamental Plants of Western
9. Domestication of Underutilized Species for
Ornamental Values — Datta, S.K.
10. Underutilized Orchids of Orissa
Sagar Mohapatra and Kambaska Kumar Behera
11. Promising Indian Barlerias of Ornamental Potential
Mayur, Y. Kamble; Sandeep R. Pai and Shendage, S.M.
12. Exacum bicolor - An Elegant Wild Flowering Herbs
Sreelatha, U.; T. S. Baburaj and Narayanan, Kutty C.
13. Use of Dehydration Technique for Utilization of Unutilized Rural Flora for Preparation of Diversified Value Added Products
Underutilized Herbs and Spices
14. Underutilized Herbs and Spices
Ravindran, P.N; Geetha S Pillai and Nirmal Babu, K.
15. Tropical Cucurbits and Their Improvement
K.V. Peter, P.G. Sadhan Kumar and T.E. George
Varalakshmi , B.
18. Ivy Gourd
20. Spine Gourd
Bharathi, L.K; G. Naik, H.S. Singh and Dora, D.K.
21. Participatory Management of Indigenous Mango Germplasm
Pradeep Kumar, T; John Kutty, I and Peter, K.V.
22. Indian Noni (Marinda Citrifolia L,) —A Unique Fruit Crop with High Medicinal Value
Abu Saleha; Manju Kamath L, and Peter, P.I.
23. Karonda (Carissa conjesta) - An Underutilized Fruit Crop
Dinesh Kumar; Pandey V. and Vishal Nath
Gajanana, T.M; Gowda, I.N.D. and Reddy, B.M.C.
Underutilized Energy Plants
25. Simarouba (Simarouba glauca DC.) Ramajayam, D; Syamasundar Joshi.
Shantha Joshi and Mishra, P.K.
26. Aonla Cultivars
Rao V.K and Sharma, S.K.
Genetic Resources of Underutilized Horticultural Crops in Tripura
Coleus (Coleus parviflorus Benth.)
Indigenous Ornamental Plants of Western Ghats
Domestication of Underutilized Species for Ornamental Values
Underutilized Orchids of Orissa
Promising Indian Barlerias of Ornamental Potential
Exacum bicolor - An Elegant Wild Flowering Herbs
Use of Dehydration Technique for Utilization of Unutilized Rural Flora for Preparation of Diversified Value Added Products
Underutilized Herbs and Spices
Tropical Cucurbits and Their Improvement
Participatory Management of Indigenous Mango Germplasm
Indian Noni (Marinda citrifolia L) A Unique Fruit Crop with High Medicinal Value
Karonda (Carissa conjesta) - An Underutilized Fruit Crop
Simarouba (Simarouba glauca DC.)