Prof. K.V.Peter: Former VC and Presently Professor of Horticulture, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur 680 656, Kerala
"Globally there is concern for diminishing nutritional security. Land under agriculture is dwindling, water for irrigation becoming scarce and costly and availability of labour getting lesser, the need for future crops and alternate source of nutrition is getting attention. Under CGIAR, an all inclusive future crops international has been established to bring to light underexploited and underutilized crops. Horticultural crops especially vegetables, fruits, ornamentals, medicinal plants and aromatic plants are unique in presence of a large number of plants with possibility for edible uses and considerable nutritive value. Many are wild weeds in one part of the globe but edible and consumed in another part of the globe. A few such plants are used for phytosanitation and phytoremediation but are getting attention as raw materials for biofuel production. Energy and water are two natural resources getting threat due to climate change resulting global warming and ozone depletion."
Foreword — Dr. Prem Nath
List of Contributors
Vegetables and tubers
1. Capsicum chinense Jacq. (Mali Mulaku)
2. Minor Greens and Salads
3. Future Leaf Vegetables
4. Vigna dalzelliama (O. Kuntzc) Verdc. : A Wild Legume from Eastern Ghats of Peninsular India
Rama Murthy L. and Thangadourai D.
5. White Yam (Dioscorea rotundata Poir)
Oyetunzi, Olusola Jacob
6. Underutilized Nut Fruits of Hills
Pandey, G., Pandey, D. and Shukla, S.K.
7. Lesser Known Edible Fruits of North Eastern India
Patel R.K., De, L.C., Akath Singh and Deka, Bidyut C.
8. Breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis Park)
Sarah T. George and Manoj, P.S.
9. Nectarine — A New Promising Fruit Crop for Mid Hills
Jayant Kumar and Kishore Khosla
10. Pecan Nut
Badyal, J.M. and Upadhyay S.K.
11. Persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb)
12. Aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.)- Value Added Products
13. Jack Fruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) – Nutritional Data, Medicinal Values and Uses
Sudha George Valavi and Lisa Thottappilly
14. Cleome gynandra – Nutritional and Medicinal Properties
E. Van Den Heever, Venter, S.L. and Jansen Van Rensburg, W.S.
15. Ornamentals for Essential Oils
16. Sambucus nigra L. in Catalonia (Iberian Peninsula)
Joan Valles, Maria Angels Bonet, Teresa Garnatje, Joan Muntane, Montse Parada and Montse Rigat
17. Underutilized Medicinal Plants of Uttarakhand Hills
Shailesh Tripathi and Sah, V.K.
18. Seabuckthorn : A New Underutilized Fruit Crops
Capsicum chinense. Jacq. (Mali Mulaku)
Minor Greens and Salads
Future Leaf Vegetables
Vigna dalzelliana (O. Kuntze) Verdc. : A Wild Legume from Eastern Ghats of Peninsular India
White Yam (Dioscorea rotundata Poir)
Underutilized Nut Fruits of Hills
Lesser Known Edible Fruits of North Eastern India
Breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis Park)
Nectarine - A New Promising Fruit Crop for Mid Hills
Persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.)
Aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) - Value Added Products
Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) - Nutritional Data, Medicinal Values and Uses
Cleome gynandra - Nutritional and Medicinal Properties
Ornamentals for Essential Oils
Sambucus nigra L. in Catalonia (Iberian Peninsula)
Underutilized Medicinal Plants of Uttarakhand Hills
Seabuckthorn : A New Underutilized Fruit Crop